Over the last few years, the demand for a job in the banking sector has increased significantly. The Institute of Banking Personnel (IBPS) conducts IBPS clerk exams every year to recruit candidates for clerical positions in several public sector banks.
If you want a job in the government banking sector, it is mandatory to clear these examinations. The competition has increased significantly as the number of applicants aspiring to fill these positions is almost doubling every year. Out of the mass of the population applying, only a few aspirants get the jobs. If you are a new bank aspirant and want to clear the IBPS clerk exam on the first attempt, then follow the tips given below.
To start the preparation for the bank clerk exam, the applicant must know the pattern of the exam. Knowing the pattern will help you in better understanding the paper structure, time management, level of the questions, and the essential topics which you should not miss.
The bank clerk exam is divided into two stages:
To get the clerk job successfully, a candidate must clear both stages. To get shortlisted for the Main exam, you have to clear the Prelims exam. IBPS Clerk Prelims exam comprises of 3 sections that include Reasoning Ability, Quantitative Aptitude & English Language. A total of 100 questions are asked in the Prelims exam divided 35, 35 & 30 in Reasoning, Quantitative aptitude & English Respectively. Candidates have 60 minutes to solve all the sections.
There is a penalty for every wrong answer. A negative marking of 1/4th of the total question will be cut for each wrong answer. To know the dates of prelims and the main clerk exam, click here for more info.
Section-wise preparation tips for IBPS Clerk Main Exam
- Quantitative aptitude:
- The problems which require applying the formula directly do not require much practice. This can be done in your free time. You just need to learn the formula by heart and understand how and when to apply it.
- Spend more time on problems involving Probability, Time-speed distance, Mensuration, Geometry, Permutation, and Combinations. To solve these problems, theoretical knowledge is important.
- This section consumes more time. Thus, it is advised to spend more time practicing.
- Reasoning: This section involves Puzzles, seating arrangements, data sufficiency, Direct sense, input-output, order and ranking, blood relations.
- Solve the problems which are non-descriptive and require common logic first.
- For Puzzles, practice solving parameters-based questions.
- Develop a habit of doing the calculation, making diagrams in the paper rather than doing it verbally.
- Candidates with strong English grammar have an upper hand. It will help you in attempting questions like active-passive voice, subject-verb agreement, error correction, direct and indirect speech, etc.
- Keep exploring new words and their meanings.
- Develop a habit of reading daily so that it helps you in time management and receiving the message faster.
Overall Preparation Tips to Crack IBPS Clerk Exam:
- Understand the syllabus and exam pattern: Before appearing for the exam, know the syllabus and the important topics. Concentrate on the topic you are weak or need a better understanding of.
- Focus on the scoring topics: After understanding the exam pattern and the syllabus, divide the important topics and prioritize them to score more. Try to attempt at least 2 mock tests a day to understand your overall performance and analyze where you stand. Observe the mistakes and work on them to understand and solve the problems. Write the formulae and important or difficult topics on a piece of paper to revise before the exam.
- Go through the previous year or model question papers: Going through the model question papers helps you in analyzing and prioritizing the topics that are repeated. It also helps you in understanding the weightage of each question from various topics.
- Time Management:Time management plays a significant role in the preparation of exams. If you are not getting the right answer for the question or you are stuck with a question, you should not waste time. Instead, try attempting the ones in which you are confident and know the answer. Speed and accuracy enhance the preparation and results in top ranks.
- Avoid Guessing the answers: Most of the candidates forget that there is a penalty for every wrong answer. It is important to mark the answers that you are confident about and avoid guessing the answers.
- Prepare according to cut-off: Candidates forget about the cut-off marks. It is important to revise the subjects which require more time and has more cut-off.
- Set a goal: Many candidates appear for the exam just to try their luck. It is important to set your mind about clearing the exam and aiming for its preparation.
- Study Plan: Few days before the exam, it is important to design a study plan that involves giving time to each subject and revision.
- Prepare hard: It is not easy to clear an exam like the IBPS Clerk exam. It requires a lot of hard work and devotion of time. If you procrastinate and lose time, you would not be able to clear this exam within a few days of the exam.
- Analyze and Strategize: After taking the online mock tests, solving the model and previous year question papers, it is important to analyze your marks and examine your performance. Target the topic in which you are weak and start working on it.
During the exam, attempt the questions that are easy and need the application of a direct formula. Get more questions correct. Only mark the questions about which you are confident. Practice is the key to clearing the IBPS Clerk Exam on the first attempt. Keep all the tips and tricks in mind and devote your time to studying and preparing for the exam. It will help you in getting a higher score and making your way into the banking career.