The antiviral additives help in providing long-term protection from viruses by turning antiviral agents into different forms such as a masterbatch, powder or a liquid suspension. These additives are added with injection moulding resins. The Antiviral additives are added to the resin during the manufacturing process. Also, the antiviral additives are compatible with traditional injection moulding processes as well as plastics without any alteration in the methodology. Also after the addition of such antiviral additives, there is no change in the appearance of the finished product as well as its durability (Lin et al., 2014).
INTERACTION OF ANTIVIRAL ADDITIVES WITH CERTAIN KIND OF MATERIALS
• The major application of such material with antiviral properties is synthetic as well as bio‐based plastics such as polypropylene and polyhydroxyalkanoates. These materials as they interact with the biologically important substances are such as the food contact surface as well as food‐packaging material. But the natural biopolymers such as polysaccharides include chitosan, starch, cellulose. Also, some proteins such as soy protein as well as zein are suitable for antiviral additives.
• Also, the addition of antiviral can be done into lipids like the beeswax and is “generally recognized as safe” (GRAS) status which must be selected for applications in form of edible coatings on fresh food products (Lili et al., 2020).
PROPERTIES OF ANTIVIRAL ADDITIVES:
• These antiviral additives have the potential property of adding a viricidal property to products in which they are put up. Also, these additives have the property to decrease surface-based viral transmission significantly.
• It is very useful in multiple disciplines and health sectors such as healthcare as well as the production of medical antiviral polymers due prevention of biofilm formation.
● Also it enhances biosecurity when used in combination with disinfectant protocols
● The antiviral additives are odorless, non-toxic as well as colorless.
• These polymers with antiviral properties have specialized properties like high defense activity, transparency, hardness as well as durability.
• Also they are highly useful for the production of non-toxic plastic equipment which is of immense use in healthcare agencies due to the rise in hospital-acquired infections. Thus, infection proof additives have high utility in air vents for the prevention of the transfer of any communicable diseases.
• Also the demand for such additives is high due to increasing standards of living of people in various nations and for ensuring safe as well as sterile environments which can possibly hinder the occurrence of another global pandemic.
• The antiviral additive are majorly used in polymers such as polyolefin nonwoven fabrics and films. These are used widely in the production of disposable face masks as well as protective apparel.
HOW THE ANTIVIRAL ADDITIVE TECHNOLOGY WORKS
Also in the corona pandemic, while making the protective masks antiviral additives are added into several layers. Thus, the antiviral additive mixture is applied on the outer layer of the mask resulting in a cost-effective and efficient solution. Majorly it destroys viral particles which land on the outer layer of the face mask and thus eliminates the danger to the user of the mask.
In addition to this, if the person wearing the face mask is already carrying the virus, then the antiviral additive which is applied on the outer layer of the mask face kills viral particles which reach the outer layer from the inside. This provides protection to other individuals coming in contact as well as in proximity to the carrier of the virus.
APPLICATION OF ANTIVIRAL ADDITIVES
• Protective to medical teams: The antiviral additives are applied to the protective medical gear which is worn by medical staff. As they might get in contact with viruses on a daily basis (Randazzo et al., 2018).
• Face masks have antiviral additives to lock the viruses from entering the mask and also they do not escape from inside of the infected patients with viral infections. It is widely used in injection molding so as to provide antiviral additive in plastics.
• It is used in paints for protecting the workers from picking up viruses from the surfaces which are painted. This is used in coating the surfaces developed specifically for health care environments, community health centres as well as hospitals. Also, it offers an additional layer of protection which reduces the risk of infection from viruses on painted surfaces.
• Also an antiviral coating such as MAP-1 which comprises encapsulated antiviral agents which have the stability of around 90 days. This is polymer technology that has usage in encapsulation and is heat-sensitive along with rupturing of viral particles when it comes in contact with other individuals. Thus it is used on elevator buttons as well as handrails.
• Also, it is used in the manufacturing of workwear and makes virustatic Shield snoods(Galdiero et al., 2011) which is an innovation and provides protection from viruses. This product utilizes an anti-viral fabric.
• The antiviral additive is used in nano-coating which is based on silver compounds for providing protection against viruses. Thus, it is useful for anti-Covid-19 3-layered medical masks as well as an N95 respirator.
• Also, protection from the healthcare workers is done via antiviral additives and it is an affordable solution in form of antimicrobial spray-based coating for Personal Protection Equipment’s (PPE) kits for killing as well as preventing the spread of microbes when they come in contact with the coated PPE surface. The antiviral additives contain a nanoparticle cocktail which includes copper, silver as well as other active metallic ingredients.
• Also, the end-user applicability of antiviral additives is in terms of building materials as well as household applications via the antiviral coating. This is useful in buildings, segments as well as painting interior and exterior walls. Also, it is used in flooring as well as windows.
• It is useful for providing protective spray technology to disinfect doors, bathrooms as well as handles.
• Apart from disinfecting frequently touched surfaces, antiviral additives are widely used in textiles in which the antiviral compounds have been mixed with fibres of woven as well as non-woven material.
Q1: What are antiviral additives?
Ans: These are materials which provide protection to humans against virus and occur in various forms such as masterbatch, powder or a liquid suspension.
Q2: What is the use of antiviral additives?
Ans: These are used during the manufacturing of disinfectant plastics and injection materials, polymeric textiles with antiviral technology and also face masks. This is also used in spray technology as well as food packaging and does not let virus particle to enter inside the surface.
Q3: Why is an antiviral additive technology in high demand?
Ans: this is in high demand due to the increased exposure to viruses in healthcare institutions as well as commonly touched surfaces along with the avoidance of another viral pandemic.