All owners of vehicles registered in Singapore should pay the road tax due if they wish to continue using the vehicle. It is mandatory for a vehicle driver to pay the entire road tax amount for the specified period, before driving the vehicle. The owner of any Singapore registered vehicle should pay his road tax once a year or every six months. The road tax renewal Singapore has to be completed before the vehicle renewal date, else the vehicle owner will also have to pay a fine for the delay in vehicle tax renewal. The maximum fine for the delay in tax payment is two thousand dollars, since owning or driving a vehicle without paying the road tax due is an offense in the country.
Before paying the road tax which is due the registered vehicle owner should comply with the other mandatory requirements for renewal stipulated by the regulatory bodies:
– Vehicle insurance: The Land Transport Authority(LTA) in Singapore has specified that the vehicle should have insurance coverage for the period for which the road tax is being renewed for. Before making the road tax payment, the vehicle owner should ensure that the vehicle insurance purchased includes third party liability for injuries to the body or death
– Vehicle inspection: Vehicles in Singapore are periodically inspected to check if they are in good condition, and if the inspection is due, it should be completed, before the road tax is paid
– Outstanding fines, due to government agencies: The road tax payment process may be affected if the car owner has dues/fines payable to the Singapore government agencies like the Urban Redevelopment Agency(URA), Housing Development Board(HDB), LTA and the Traffic Police(TP). If there are any fines outstanding, the process of road tax renewal is likely to get blocked.
– Inspection of number plates for specific categories: Cars which will be used on weekends, off- peak hours or the revised off-peak hours have a special number plate seal, and this should be inspected at the inspection centre authorized by the LTA
– Heavy vehicle certification: All heavy vehicles should have a Vehicle Parking Certificate(VPC) and it is possible to pay the road tax of the heavy vehicle only if it has a valid VPC.
The Automobile Association of Singapore (AAS) is one of the most reputed organizations for vehicle owners in Singapore. It has a number of outlets where members can pay their road tax, renewal fees and make other payments.
Road tax payment
For the convenience of its members road tax payment can be made at the AAS outlets at GB point and 51, AMK. For making the road tax payment, the car owner should get the following documents
- Renewal notice for payment of road tax for the car
- Original certificate from the insurance company, which covers the period for which the road tax is being paid.
- If applicable , the original vehicle inspection certificate
- For heavy vehicles, a valid VPC is required
The vehicle owner can find out the amount he has to pay for road tax online at onemotoring.com.sg by entering the registration number for the vehicle or the age, engine capacity of the vehicle. The road tax payment can be made either by cash or cheque. The cheque should be drawn in favor of the Singapore government regulatory body.