The process of air conditioning is meant to treat the air in order to control its temperature, cleanliness, humidity, and distribution to keep a space conditioned and cool. Homes, offices and other buildings use air conditioning to keep the interiors cool and comfortable. With such a wide usage and huge demand, it’s become imperative to know more about them and about their functioning.
Working of an Air Conditioner
Basically, air conditioning works on the principle of refrigeration. The physics law of phase conversion states that when you convert a liquid into gas, it leads to the absorption of heat. Based on that, AC systems evaporate chemical compounds called refrigerants again and again in closed coil systems. Fans embedded in the air conditioners move warm air from the inside over cold coils filled with refrigerant. When warm air is passed through these cold evaporator coils, inside heat is absorbed and converted into gas. In order to cool it down, the AC converts this gas back to liquid by putting it under high pressure in the compressor. In the process, the extra heat generated due to compression is expelled outdoors and cool air is sent inside the room.
Benefits of Air Conditioning
There are many good reasons for buying these machines:
- It keeps your interiors protected against damage. Heat and humidity can cause extensive damage to the objects placed inside your property, such as kitchen cabinets, furniture, upholstery, guitars, electrical devices, etc.
- It keeps unwanted guests at bay, such as pests, dust mite, mold, bugs, etc. These creatures love organic decay, and if your interiors are hot and humid, they will give a major source of food to these pests.
- Your home, furniture, couches, stovetop and almost every item kept inside releases dangerous fumes, toxins, and chemicals if they are exposed to heat and humidity. This causes toxicity inside your house that can be controlled with air conditioning.
- Increased levels of pests and dirt in your interiors can lead to a variety of allergies and health problems in your family members. If mold is allowed to grow in your interiors, you may start experiencing respiratory problems due to that.
- High humidity is scientifically linked with low mood problems in the people living inside. It has been found that people living in air-conditioned houses and workers working in air-conditioned offices maintain a better mood, they remain happier, and they improve their thought process and productivity to a great extent.
Types of Air Conditioners
Now that you have realized the importance of air conditioning, let’s have a look at the different types of air conditioners available out there:
- Central air conditioners: It is suitable for big-size properties due to its high ability to cool effectively.
- Ductless air conditioners: It has an outdoor compressor and an indoor unit that can cool individual rooms of your house efficiently.
- Window air conditioners: It is a compact unit that is installed on a window of the room to be cooled.
- Portable air conditioners: It is a portable type of air conditioner that is a whole unit on its own, and can be shifted from one place to the other as per the cooling needs.
- Hybrid air conditioners: It alternates between electricity and fuel consumption to save energy and money.
- Geothermal air conditioners: It extracts heat from the ground and transfers it to your house to cool it down or heat it up. They can reduce your electricity consumption by 25-50%. Here is what you need to know about the price for geothermal heating and cooling.
Now that you know so much about residential air conditioning, go ahead and make an informed choice to get the most benefits out of it for the comfort and safety of your interiors.