There are many decisions coming along with buying a new home, some more stressful than the others. But before you pick out the perfect rug for the living room floor you must determine first who will pour the foundation and build the walls. Selecting a home builder to create your dream home may seem like a daunting task but it does not have to be. To help you make this important decision Vision Homes provides all the tips, resources, and tools you need to find the house builders Newcastle that is right for you and your family.
- Research – Before you hand over your house plans to a builder, you need to do your homework. What should you research exactly?
- Look for Locals- Are there any builders who have specialization in the specific area where you plan to reside? Look online, pursue local real estate magazines, or search for builder signs when you are driving around the town. The National Association Home Builders(NAHB) is an excellent resource to find qualified builders, visit their website to find out more about your local area.
- Turn to a Referral – The word of mouth is a powerful thing. Do you have a family member, a co-worker, or a friend who recently worked with the home builder? Ask for referrals from the people who were pleased and happy with the builder’s work. You can search online also for testimonials and reviews from other homeowners. Many stock house plan companies have a builder referral program where they match you with competent builders in your area.
- Take a Tour – Many builders offer tours of model homes. Visit as many models as possible to receive a sense of each builder’s style and find out if it matches your own. For example, if you are planning to build an expensive 5 bedroom home, you will not want to hire a builder who specializes in small house plans.
- Compare prices – It is important to gather as much information as possible during the research phase. It includes a builder’s price range and the cost of any upgrades available. This will narrow down your list to homebuilders that fit within your budget.
- Ask questions – If you are not having any questions, you have not thought enough about the home building process. Below is mentioned a list of questions that you should be asking a home builder-
- Experience- Find out how long the company has been in business and till now how many homes have the Builder completed.
- License and Registration – Request a copy of the builder’s license, insurance, and other documents required to do the business in your particular area.
- Warranty – Find out what warranty the builder offers, what is covered, and how the claim process works.
- Building Materials – You may not know the difference between a common nail and a casing nail, but it is important to ask the builder about the material of construction his or her company uses and why those specific materials are used.
- Energy Efficiency – Do not forget to enquire about the energy-saving features which the home builder offers, and whether or not there are any extra costs associated with these features.
- Floor Plans – Are you required to use the floor plans of the builder or will he work from separate blueprints? If you are to use one of the builder’s plans, can any modifications be made?
- Construction timeline – How long will the building process take from the beginning till the end? What happens if a construction delay occurs?
- Code and permit procedures – Find out how the builder handles permits and what processes are there to ensure all building codes are followed.
- Subcontractors – Builders hire other businesses or individuals to handle small jobs. Does the Builder always use the same subcontractors? Can he provide credentials or other information for preferred subcontractors?
The decision to hire a home builder is an important one and it requires plenty of time, patience, effort, and persistence.