Many of us are aware of the environmental challenges happening in our world now. Some are actively working to fix that by doing research or supporting green policies to save energy.
What you don’t know is that even you can help save the environment by doing small lifestyle changes. These changes although very small but when added up can make a huge difference. And that is what Energy Upgrade California is all about.
So what is Energy Upgrade California? It’s a statewide marketing, education, and outreach initiative to promote energy management concepts, energy efficiency actions, and clean energy opportunities for the state’s residents and small businesses. Of course these small deeds will not just help save the environment but may save you a lot of money too.
Here’s an example of how you can help and how it is very effective if more people become aware and follow suit
- Washing cloths. Try as much as possible to wash with cold water. There’s no actual difference between warm and cold but heating the water consumes to much energy. Even better, our washing machine (and of course yours) has an “time saver” option, which we use all the time and of course energy saver!
- Use window shades efficiently. Close the shutters on a sunny side during the summer to keep out the hot sun, and then open them in winter to bring in warm rays.
- Turn off all lights, small appliances and electronics not in use. A power strip can help turn off multiple items at once.
The coffee machine, microwave and water dispenser are on one strip. The PC, printer and telephone are on another. Just switch them off at once!
- Switch to LED bulbs. It’s the latest technology in light emission. Here’s our kitchen LED light. It produces the same amount of KWs but much much cheaper and energy saving. Upgrading to LED lightbulbs will use at least 75% less energy, and last 25 times longer. If everyone upgraded to LED light bulbs, we’d reduce CO2 emissions equivalent to those produced by a coal-fired power plant in one year.
- Always shop appliances with the Energy Star label, the government’s symbol of energy efficiency, on a wide range of consumer products to save up to 30% on related electricity bills.
- Use your PC better than laptop. Laptops use more energy and less efficiently. Also, I know Men love their gaming consoles and microwaves but they do consume even when not in use!
So unplug your gaming consoles, satellite receivers, microwaves, coffee machines when not in use! They use energy to keep the clock on which is so useless!
- Teach your kids and neighbors the importance of saving energy. Spreading the awareness around the neighborhood, family, PTA and work can exponentially minimize the consumption around especially with the summer coming.
- Use Gas ovens rather than electric ovens. Gas ovens live longer and almost consume zero energy. Especially that they are used for hours to heat and cook the food.
Read more about what you can do at Energy Upgrade California here.
We are getting good at unplugging our microwave, coffee pot, and toaster when we aren’t using them!! And my cell phone charger!
[…] 6.Reduce indoor and outdoor air pollution. Use clean solar energy or alternatives. Read how we did in California. […]
Make a more new posts please 🙂