As a part and parcel of their service, the area agencies on aging offer a wide variety of programs. All these have a common objective and that is to provide the best care and support to the seniors. While most of the services are standardized and cover all aspects of daily living activities of the seniors, there are also a few customized services and programs provided to meet with the specific needs of the seniors and their family as well.
Some of the most common types of services and programs provided by the area agencies on aging are:
- Adult day care
- Case management
- Aide and support staff
- Caregiver training
- Chore support
- Congregate meals
- Emergency alert response
- Gerontological counseling to individual
- Financial risk reduction
- Home delivered meals
- Assessment and maintenance
- Housing improvement
- Nutrition counseling
- Personal care
- Medication management
- Pest control initiation and maintenance
- Specialized medical equipment and supplies
- Homecare medical supplies
- Respite in home
In addition to the above most of the agencies under the Philadelphia Corporation for aging also provides several other services especially to those who suffer from specific medical conditions.
Alzheimer’s disease initiative
ADI or the Alzheimer’s Disease Initiative is a specific program provided by the area agencies on aging that is particularly designed to provide community-based respite services. This program can be availed by all those people with special needs aged 18 years and above due to the Alzheimer’s disease and its associated memory disorders.
The eligibility requirement to receive ADI include:
- Individuals must be 18 years of age or above
- They must be diagnoses with Alzheimer’s disease or any related disorder due to it or
- May be suspected of having Alzheimer’s disease or related disorder.
The caregivers for this specific disease usually need respite. The funding source of it is the State General Revenue Department of Elder Affairs.
Community care for seniors
The area agency on aging may also provide community care for the elderly.These are usually organized as a continuum of care. This type of care is especially helpful for those seniors who are impaired and need help to function normal activities of daily living.
- This special CCE program is designed to provide community-based services.
- This care services are provided to impaired people of 60 years of age and above.
The program ensures that the persons live in an environment that is the least restrictive but most cost-effective and is best fitted for their specific needs.The funding source is once again the State General Revenue Department of Elder Affairs.
Home care services
Providing home care services for the elderly or HCE is one of the most important services provided by these agencies. This is a specific program that provides supportive care to people 60 years and older.
- This type of care is provided in a family-type living environment within private homes
- This is a useful and cost-effective alternative to nursing home or institutionalcare.
The basic subsidy to this kind of care services is provided by the State General Revenue Department of Elder Affairs once again for providing maintenance and support to the elder along with a few specific medical costs.
The recipient of such care services however must meet the asset and financial income criteria set for it and have a live-in caregiver.
The Older Americans Act
According to the Older Americans Act the area agency on aging should follow a few specific guidelines mentioned in its different Titles.
- According to the Title III B, the agencies should provide specific supportive services to the elders in order to boost the overall well-being of the elders. These services ideally help the elders to live independently in their homes and in the community as well.
- According to the Title III C1, the agencies should provide congregate meals to the elders along with nutrition education. This must be provided in the strategically situated centers such as the schools, churches, senior centers, community centers, or any other public or private facilities. In here, other rehabilitative and social services may also be provided.
- As per the Title III C2, the agencies are required to provide home-delivered meals as well as nutrition education to the homebound individuals.
- Lastly, according to the Title III E National Family Caregiver Support, it is mandatory for the care giving agencies to provide services through this program to support families caring for weaker older members. It is also aimed at those grandparents or other older relatives who are the caregivers for children aged 18 years and younger or of any age having disabilities.
In order to get such beneficial services, a person needs to be 60 years of age or older. In most of the times, these services are provided free of cost but voluntary contributions are welcome. These services are actually designed for the low-income older individuals and low-income minority older individuals. In addition to them, older people having limited proficiency in English and those who are old and residing in rural areas can also avail such type of Federal Department of Elder Affairs service from the area agency on aging.
Department of Agriculture
Surprised at the subheading? Well, you should and there is nothing wrong in it. Ideally, the United States Department of Agriculture provides aset reimbursement for the congregate and home-delivered meals consumed by the older people.
This fund is ideally used to increase the number of meals provided to the seniors all through the Planning and Service area. Once again, the funding source here is the Federal Department of Elder Affairs.
Summing it up
Therefore, you can see that the job of the area agency on aging is not limited to providing the basis care and support services to the older people. Their job comprises of a lot of other things all of which is aimed at ensuring a better living and health standard for the older citizens.
It all depends on your need and your eligibility as to which one you will choose for you or for the loved one in your family. Therefore, a thorough research and balancing the features with your needs is elementary for making the right choice.