The concept of negotiation is extremely extensive. You can talk about them for a long time. Getting to know it as best as possible is crucial to achieving your business goals. In this article, we’ll look at how to negotiate. They can affect whether you manage to negotiate favorable terms for yourself and your company. What negotiation styles do we distinguish and which one is the most effective? Let’s check!
3 Basic Styles of Negotiation
By searching the sources available and reading the opinions and conclusions of various specialists, you can find many different styles and ways of negotiating. However, in some areas, it is not worth reinventing the wheel and it is much better to follow proven knowledge that best describes a specific topic. When it comes to negotiation styles, the most proven and at the same time the popular division was created by William Ury and Roger Fisher – according to it, we distinguish 3 negotiation styles: cooperative, competitive, and matter-of-fact. Let’s take a look at each of them.
1. Cooperative Negotiation Style
Also known as the soft style, it is primarily focused on maintaining good relations with the opponent. He is mainly characterized by an aversion to any conflicts and giving up his interests to win the sympathy of the other party. This way of negotiating leads to all sorts of concessions and makes it impossible to achieve goals greater than maintaining good relations with others. Often this is due not so much to an established strategy as to an inability to negotiate, or even fear.
The name “cooperative” also comes from the fact that the person adopting this style of negotiation looks for solutions that will be accepted by the interlocutor. This often leads to the presentation of many offers and constant changes in decisions. What will such a negotiator get? The lower limit of what is achievable in specific interviews. As a result, after the conclusion of such negotiations, it is very difficult to feel satisfied.
2. Competitive Style of Negotiations
Also called the hardstyle is the complete opposite of the cooperative style. The negotiator strives to win, regardless of the consequences, and exerts pressure, and imposes his conditions on the other party. There is no cooperation here, only the need to comply with the demands of one of the parties, which leads to a weakening of the relationship between the parties and usually excludes the possibility of establishing long-term relationships. The interlocutor is treated here not as a partner, but as a competitor (and in the most extreme cases – an enemy).
A characteristic feature of the competitive manner of negotiation is also the lack of inhibitions on the way to achieving a specific goal. Therefore, the negotiator uses various methods of manipulation, and even threats or blackmail. What will such a negotiator get? All or nothing – depending on the attitude and experience of the other party.
3. Bar-Based Negotiation Style
Also known as the rule-based style, it is the golden mean between the above-mentioned negotiation styles. The priority is to search for solutions that will meet the expectations of both parties. Objective, rational arguments are taken into account. Interlocutors respect their opinions and can put themselves in the role of interlocutor. The key to success is the ability to separate people from the problem and therefore focus not on who the negotiator is, but what the problem is being raised.
Of course, the desire to find the best solution for both sides does not mean that – as in the soft style – numerous concessions should be made. The negotiator should insist on the application of objective criteria and joint efforts to reach an agreement. The exchange of arguments is therefore matter-of-fact, and each party may have prepared several alternative solutions that may satisfy both parties.
How to negotiate factually?
There is no denying that a matter-of-fact negotiation style is the one that is desirable in various types of talks and disputes. Other ways of negotiating rarely bring a satisfactory effect, so it is worth knowing how to negotiate as a matter of fact. Here are some of the most important suggestions!
- Keep people separate from problems. We mentioned it above and it is the key to success. Negotiation styles based on emotions and based on likes or dislikes towards interlocutors usually do not bring the expected results. So, you should control your emotions and feelings and focus only on the essence of negotiation.
- Be open to other, alternative solutions. Often, at the planning stage, it is difficult to consider all possible options and solutions. These appear unexpectedly during conversations. It is worth opening up to them, even if they are suggested by the other party. Searching together is often the key to agreeing and negotiating terms that will be beneficial to both parties.
- Be objective, be guided by facts and data. Be mindful of the costs you will incur, the expert opinions, and – again – don’t be guided by emotions.
- Be honest, respect your interlocutor, and take care of the atmosphere. If you find that the other side is closed to such attitudes, do not try to win them over at all costs. Online Payday Loans Las Vegas is also an option to choose from. It is connected with the risk of abandoning substantive to soft negotiations.
Negotiation styles, Learn from the Mistakes of Others
As you can see, negotiation styles and methods vary greatly, and only practice and knowledge will allow you to choose attitudes that will allow you to achieve your goals. Therefore, it is worth drawing examples from the best and constantly expanding your competencies in this area.