The prostate is a small gland that is present in the frontal area of the rectum and beneath the bladder. The prostate basically has the function of producing a certain fluid that will help in transporting the sperm. Therefore one can say it is a crucial part of the male reproductive system and it is crucial to find the best prostate surgeon for any medical procedure.
Prostatectomy is the procedure of the prostate surgery, and the main objective of the surgery is either to remove the prostate completely or to remove it partially. And this is performed by the trained prostate surgeons. Prostate surgeries are the result of two situations:
• Prostate cancer
• Benign prostatic hyperplasia or enlargement of the prostate
In this procedure, general anesthesia is used to make the patient sleep. Also in some cases, spinal anesthesia is used to numb the lower part of the body.
Prostate surgeries are done to aid the prostate situation, reduce prostate problems, enhance the urinary continence and maintain the functionality of the penile erection.
Type of surgery
In general, there are a few types of prostate surgery that a surgeon can opt for:
• Open surgery: in this, the surgeon cuts an incision and then operate on the prostate gland. There are two ways this type of operation is done: radical perineal and radical retropubic approach. in the perineal approach, the incision is made between the scrotum and rectum. And in the retropubic approach, the incision is made between the pubic bone and the belly button.
• Laparoscopic surgery: these surgeries are minimally invasive procedures as bigger cuts are not made. Either it is done by the doctor using various small cuts and incisions and cameras. Or it is completed robotically as the doctor controls the robot from the control room.
• Endoscopic surgery: in this, a tube is inserted through the penis and is attached with lens and light to remove any obstruction in the prostate. This is mostly used for marinating the normal flow of the urine.
• Urethra widening surgery: in this, the urethra is widened by a few surgical procedures. This type of surgery also has two categories, one is is by cutting a piece of enlarged prostate then it gets flushed out through the bladder. And in the second procedure, the neck of the bladder is cut and the prostate neck is also cut, to enlarge the urethra width.
Choosing a surgeon
There are can be several options that one finds when it comes to prostate surgery. Bad surgeries can be quite bad and that is the reason why one should be very careful while picking one surgeon from the bunch. Few things that are to be kept in mind while choosing the Mejor cirujana de próstata are:
• High volume: it is always considerably more important to find a place where there are specialists and these types of procedures are quite common. A place with a higher volume of prostate surgeries a day means they are experts and they have good results.
• Results: it is always important to check the results that a surgeon gives. A good surgeon will always be ready to show the surgery results that they have garnered from years of practice.
• Reviews: it is always clever to read the reviews and testimonials of the patients if possible. also, find if the patients of the surgeon are available to talk to so that one can get an idea bout the surgeon’s work.
• Ask questions: while choosing a doctor for prostate surgery, it is important to ask as many questions as possible. one should ask questions about the reports, the procedure, the recovery time and the medicines and the side effects of the surgery.