Maintenance is an important task especially when it comes to the house that protects the residents in it by keeping them safe. If a house is not maintained, the plaster on the walls can get cracked resulting in weak wall and leakage.
Also, while building a new house, plastering is an important factor to consider as the plaster not only smoothen the walls but also adds support making the walls stronger. A good plasterer is a crucial factor, as the strength of the house depends on which type of plaster used and how is it applied.
In this article, there are some tips on how to choose a good plasterer and what questions are supposed to ask to the plasterer.
Choosing a good plasterer:
- Ask family, friends, and acquaintances as you can trust their word or see the work done by their plasterer.
- In today’s digitalized world, online plasterers are easily available where you can see the reviews and decide accordingly.
- See the license and certifications of the plasterer, in this way you will get to know the plasterer is genuine.
- Ask the plasterer to visit the site, see the amount of work and ask for the quotation
- Get a thought quote and compare the prices but always get the quotes written and signed. Also ask them to break down the expenditure.
- Get a plan of action from the plasterer, like how many days are required and so on. Feel free to ask the questions to the plasterer beforehand so that there won’t be any problem during the work.
How much ever tempting it may be, or even if you are one hundred percent DIY guy, it is always advisable and better to hire a plasterer for external as well as internal work. The plasterer is technically well-versed and has years of experience, which is much needed for plastering of the walls.
However, before hiring a plasterer, make sure that he is the best and be free to ask any plaster related questions. Finalize him only after you are one hundred percent satisfied with his answers.
Questions to be asked to the plasterer:
- How many coats of plaster will be applied on the walls?
- Which type of plaster would be applied, which type would be mixed with which material, like will he mix it with sand or granules?
- What is his plan with salt contamination that appears on the walls?
- If the walls are coated with a damp proof chemical, which plaster would he apply?
- Will he wait if the walls are damp?
- How much time will be required for the whole plastering process?
- Will the leakage stop after plastering?
- Can plaster stop or at least reduce the air leakage?
- Can plaster be applied on already painted walls? Or the paint is needed to be scrubbed off?
- Will the plastering help in reducing the consumption of energy?
If you have a doubt even after receiving all the answers from the plasterer, feel free to visit any earlier work done by him. Talk to the owners that had hired the plasterer and know about his professionalism and work ethics.
You can even ask them some questions if they are willing to guide you like which brand plaster is the best or has the leakage from their walls stopped after plastering and so on. Once you get to see the work, your mind will be free from any confusion.
These all questions to the plasterer will not only sort out your problems but also, by the answers given by him you will be able to know how educated, experienced, and genuine he is. It is always better to ask questions and obtain a satisfactory response, this will allow you to trust the plasterer completely and obtain a perfectly plastered wall.