Electrical shambles can hit any home due to lack of care – and once they do, the scope of damage can be nothing short of devastating. Fortunately, most electrical fires and related damage can be prevented easily if you know how to keep tabs on your home’s energy consumption. If you are new to energy safety, here are the top five tips to help you keep your home on the safe side of the electrical agenda.

The right wattage

Short circuits can occur if you do not use the right bulbs for your overhead fixtures and lamps. This is why you should check the lighting in your home to make sure you are using adequate wattage. For light fixtures without any clear signs, use 60-watt bulbs, while ceiling fixtures without wattage marks should work well with 25-watt bulbs. For a neat bonus, using LED light will reduce the risk of electrical problems and it will also slice your household’s environmental footprint at the same time.

Replace and repair

If you have loose or damaged cords on your premises, it would be a smart idea to have them fixed as soon as possible as they can also have a hand in electricity problems. In addition to that, it would be a good idea to check all power and extension cords to identify any cracking or fraying. In case you spot signs of a potential electrical problem in the making, you should take care of the underlying issue immediately or invite experts from reputed electrical company such as Davidsons Electrical to sort the issue out for you safely. Also, make sure your cords are running smoothly and without obstacles such as rugs and furniture as they can also cause damage and electrical fires if left unattended.

Watch the load

Electrical circuit overloads are a common problem which can cause full-scale energy outbreaks. To stay on the safe side, you should check outlets to make sure they are cool to touch and covered with protective faceplates. If all outlets are in good working order, the risk of an electrical fire will be low and there are also other steps which you can take to minimize the risk of an energy issue. Avoid using extension cords or multi-outlet converters for appliances, and make sure to plug only one heat-outputting device into an outlet at a time. You can also use smart plugs to track power loads and shut off appliances in case of overheating. Also, note that power strips only add outlets but do not have any impact on the amount of power received by an individual outlet.

Unused and safe

Safety rules apply both to power cords in use and those which are out of use. Stored cords should be kept away from children and pets and they should not be wrapped around objects as this can cause damage to the wires and result in overheating the next time the cord is put to use. Also, be sure to never put cords on a hot surface as this can result in melting of the insulation coat and ultimately lead to an electrical fire.

Out of sight

Unused appliances should be unplugged from the power source. This simple step will both save your household from any potential electrical risk, but it will also reduce your energy spending due to phantom leaks and extend the lifespan of your home equipment by minimizing the chances of overheating and power surges. Smart plugs can also do the trick here, for as long as you program the power schedule properly.

Power hazards can occur in any home, but with some due care and regular checkups, you can minimize the risk of a full-blown energy outbreak from compromising the safety of your nest. Check power outlets, cords, and other sensitive electrical equipment, repair and replace damaged items, keep tabs on wattage, make sure cords are stored safely, and unplug appliances when you are not using them, and your home will always be safe as houses. You are welcome.