According to statistics, the number of mobile fitness apps users from the United States grows every year by at least several million people, which clearly demonstrates the demand for this type of software. In particular, by 2022 this number will grow to as much as 86.3 million people, which means that you have big chance to capture a significant share of the market. So, now is the time to learn how to create a fitness app.
Five the Most Trending Types of Fitness Applications
First, let’s find out what types of mobile fitness apps exist.
This type of application includes training plans and videos or animations describing the correct exercise technique with explanatory comments. Typically, such solutions are characterized by a high degree of personalization due to the provision of users with the ability to indicate their initial physical parameters and those to which they aspire. Also, here usually users can track their progress during the entire training course and share their successes on social networks.
These applications are built on the same principle as the previous ones, however, instead of training, the rules of proper nutrition appear here. As for personalization, the fitness app should have a calorie counter, a recipe guide, dietitian recommendations on dietary supplements and sports nutrition, and, of course, a progress tracker.
These solutions are usually created as part of improving the quality of service and expanding the range of services for offline fitness rooms. As a rule, they are aimed at optimizing the training process that takes place in the gym (for example, by taking into account the user’s control parameters and the desired goal). They can also include in your fitness app live streaming features so that gym clients can attend group workouts remotely.
This type of app includes highly targeted solutions for calculating steps, distance traveled, calories, vital signs, etc. Usually they use the internal sensors of mobile devices and therefore are often created specifically for wearables.
Apps for physical and spiritual practices
This is a category of apps aimed at doing yoga exercises or different spiritual practices. Most often there is a catalog with video exercises, as well as a list of tracks for meditation.
Essential Features of the Average Fitness App
While every entrepreneur strives to create a completely unique solution, there are a number of common features that are common to the average fitness app. Here they are:
- registration and login window: this feature opens access to the user account. As a rule, modern fitness products provide an opportunity for users to go through this process as quickly as possible, with the help of existing accounts on social networks or by email. This is ensured through integration with the corresponding API;
- user dashboard: here users set parameters for creating a personalized training/dietary course – for example, current weight, age, height, as well as desired goals;
- trackers: this is where users and app algorithms can track users’ activity. In the case of users, this feature enhances the motivation, in the case of the algorithms, with the help of the collected data, the fitness app optimizes the further training/nutrition plan;
- geolocation (optional): this feature is responsible for tracking user routes and calculating calorie consumption. It is equally useful for training applications and dietary nutrition solutions;
- push notifications: this feature allows the application to be in touch with the user, even if it is inactive. They are the ones who are able to replace the dietitian trainer who accompanies the user 24/7.
3 Ways to Monetize Your Application
And now you need to figure out how you can provide yourself with a stable income with the help of the created fitness app. Below we will tell you about the most popular monetization options:
- paid subscription: This type of monetization pays off when you’ve already run a powerful marketing campaign and created increased interest among your target audience. Users are usually encouraged to try the demo version before signing up for a paid subscription. Obviously, this monetization method is not suitable for branded fitness app;
- advertising: You can ask developers to leave space for banner ads. This way you will be able to cooperate with other businesses offering relevant goods or services;
- premium content: Along with free features that should be enough for most users, you can also offer premium paid content such as tutorials and guidance from celebrity fitness and nutrition professionals.
Fitness App Building Process: 6 Basic Steps
Let’s find out what steps you will have to go through with your dedicated development team on the road to a successful fitness app launch.
Drawing up a list of project requirements and scope of work
This step consists of agreeing on the application requirements with the owner, choosing a technology stack, and calculating the budget of your fitness app.
Preparation of technical documentation
The technical documentation is a clear list of the specifications for the fitness app. This document is the guideline for development teams.
The creation of an application usually begins with the construction of a graphical prototype that will help to build the functionality of the future software. As a rule, for each mobile platform, the design is characterized by its own characteristics.
Frontend and backend development
This stage involves the participation of two separate teams of specialists who are engaged in creating the user part (frontend) and the server part of the application (backend).
Modern software development methodologies imply a continuous collaboration between testing and writing software code, so a team of testers works in sync with teams of programmers and designers.
Application launch and its further technical support
After successful completion of testing, the developers upload the created fitness app to well-known online platforms such as Google Play and App Store. As new requirements for the application will be identified, it could be refined. Also, applications usually need optimization associated with regular updates of the software tools used in their development.
Obviously, due to the popularization of a healthy lifestyle, launching a fitness app can provide you with a stable passive income. Simply equip your product with a few trending features and run a high-quality marketing campaign, and then it will have thousands of loyal users.